Tuesday 2 June 2009

"Up & Down & Around the World in Two Days"

Well, I actually drove myself to Europe, (England, actually), on Monday morning and arrived around noon. Did a driving tour of the streets, enjoying the architecture, massive rocks, the hills and the dales, and I didn't care whether I was lost or found -- I realized I would end up somewhere, being the 'nomad' I am, and that if I WAS lost, someone would find me eventually. I am enjoying the intracacies of this unique place and its traffic patterns. Find it difficult driving on the wrong side of the road, though, OR is it wrong side of the car? Hmmm, perhaps I should ask which one it is before I continue...

Anyhoo, I finally found a place to have lunch, then to the hospital for radiation #4. First time going it alone. I felt very strange and lonely, (I am rather strange, I admit), and realized how much having someone 'with' you while undergoing treatment is so important. Of course I knew that God was with me, so I was OK. After treatment, I found Nurse Cherry who was working a shift in the ambulatory clinic, and chewed the fat with her for a bit (not too long, though, she was working!). Took the elevator to the third floor and found Q, who was visiting her uncle in hospital. Q came over from the Island of Malta to be with me overnight. She booked us into the Hamptons (didn't I just go to the Hamptons' yesterday?). The Hamptons give a good rate to people from Malta, she told me. She took off in her car and left me behind -- to find my own way to the hotel. I told her I would get there eventually, not to worry.

Ok, here we go -- no GPS, no cell phone, just roughin' it here on the streets of London. She knew her way, I didn't, and she lost me mid-town. After several wrong roads, backtracking a few times, keeping my eyes tuned to familiar landmarks, I felt like I was in the right area. I lifted my eyes and surveyed the countryside, and looked 'way up, Rusty,' and found what I'd been lookin' for: a formidable hotel peering at me, hanging off the bonny cliffs. "Come, come," it seemed to say. "I'm trying, but I can't figure out how to get to you," I replied with determination. I am going to get to you -- no matter what! I won't give up! I can see you and I can get there -- through construction, fences, traffic, and many trials, but finally, I managed to outwit the maze and I arrived, bells ringin'. Q was in the lobby waiting for me. Thanks, Q for helping me find my way here. We settled our suitcases in the room, and then we took off again together this time -- to the Harbour, where we donned our tennis shoes and strolled down the red brick road along The Thames, the strong northeast wind whipping our hair around (well, at least Q's hair was whipped).

Then we strolled over to Amsterdam to view the beauty of the tulips before driving to dinner at the chalet in Switzerland. Off to procure munchies from a gourmet B&B, yogurt from McD's, and returned to the Hampton Condo to eat au natural peanut butter on rice cakes, spread with a spoon. Relaxed and chatted for the evening, enjoying the generous accommodations and comfy beds at the condo. I had several hot flashes, and Q was cold. We had the air conditioning on.

Tuesday morning, bright and early, we returned to the hospital for radiation #5 (11 more to go!). The woman before me told me she has had 15 treatments, and is still so anxious that she takes anxiety pills, Gravol, has her feet tied together, AND her hand strapped so she won't move. Plus she adds prayer for good measure! Told me she can't even open her eyes during treatment. I told her to open them up and look around -- it wasn't that bad. But she said she couldn't. I pray that she can get through this and relax. Some days I think I should be an activity director in the oncology unit -- it's such a sad place. Wouldn't fun and laughter be great in a place like that? I've read about places like that. Something to take the stress from the people. An older man this morning told me that he tries to have fun in there. I told him that one might as well, one can't do anything about it but relax in it. I think the noise of the radiation machine is the worst. And trying to lie still for the treatment. Invariably your nose or cheek will itch and what do you do about that?

After treatment, we trekked across town to a Parisian breakfast cafe for a delectable brunch. Q and I parted company (thanks, Q, for the great evening/night). After getting lost on the streets once again, I found my way to the highway and flew back to Canada. The first thing I did was pay my water bill. Never know when you might need water.

A sense of accomplishment: I made it down and back by myself -- a smidgeon of a feeling of, "Yes, I'm getting better! I can drive long distances!" I just need to do normal things, and driving is one of my favorite activities. The afternoon was spent stocking the RV and readying it for its journey on Friday. I'll join Doug on Friday night down in Acadian country for an RV weekend.

Matthew came over to visit this afternoon. We sat in the Adirondack chairs and chatted. He's such a great guy. He's already mowed my lawn twice this summer. He is a very caring teenager, and we so appreciate him. We might go biking together soon (in case you forget, Matt is 14). I weeded the flower garden a bit and rested on my trowel when I needed to, Matt's cell phone playing country music. I'm beginning to feel a lot like country lately.

Tonight, Doug and I took a trip to "Newfoundland" for supper with Cousins C & W. We had lobster fresh from the sea, potato salad, coleslaw, fresh rolls, yogurt with blueberries and fruity creamy cake. The cook put on an amazing spread at "The FishTale Restaurant." And here I was wondering what I was going to make tonight, considering the larder is empty. After coffee and tea, we decided to take a trip to the Port-Aux-Basques Trampoline Festival, where C & I couldn't resist entering the contest for women jumpers. Here's a pic of us trying out this new sport. W. took pictures and Doug watched the river flow, probably wondering to himself, "My wife, my wife, what is she doing now? Those women -- you just never know what they're going to do next" I didn't jump much, but let C bounce me around, which was a form of exercise. I did have a hard time getting off the trampoline, and needed assistance getting my foot untangled. Doug said that the last time I got down off of something I landed on him. When I am more flexible and not so conscious of my 'chest,' C & I are going to start training. We think we like this new found sport. I heard it's good for cancer cells (seriously).





We decided NFLD would be better off without us, having created such a stir, so back to NB again we went. Then a stroll down a few country lanes with Doug. Now I must get ready for a flight back to Europe again tomorrow. My, my I am such a world traveler. Should I make muffins now to take with me, or should I relax?

Oh, here's a fish Cuz W caught. Good fishin' on the Rock, eh?

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

Boy, Deb, you are doing so great. I love reading how you are doing. I can sure tell that God is with you always.

I am excited about what your hair is going to look like, once it finally grows in.