Thursday 5 November 2009

Stranger than Fiction


 

Today I had plans to work in my office all day – writing and editing. Writing two sermons for Sunday, preparing music for Sunday, emailing all the singers/players, plus preparing radio scripts. The funny thing is, I thought I could actually do all this in a day. Plus laundry, plus taking care of personal finances. I seriously thought I could get it all done. Why, I even made a list and everything! And when one makes a list, doesn't one naturally accomplish everything on that list?


 

I had a fruitful morning in my office and it was coming on about 1:30, when I had a hankering for my famous chicken soup. It's now famous because I've eaten since last Thursday. However, I was unprepared for what happened during the consuming of said soup. As I sat at my desk and continued to work on the computer, I felt my whole head heat up as if it was on fire. I knew it wasn't a hot flash, as I felt like I was being stabbed with hot prickly things all over me. I ran to the mirror to look – what a sight! My head looked like a cooked beet, and my arms and legs were close behind. Plus hives were breaking out all over. I was truly a sight.


 

I knew I must be having a major allergic reaction to something.  Either the chicken soup or the cornbread or the sliced cheese. I ran next door to Cousin C's to see if she had Benadryl, but alas she did not. I had her look at the back of my legs – they were on fire all right – my whole body by that time was in 'flames' and I was swabbing myself with a wet facecloth. "Go to Janet's!" she instructed and I ran across the street to Janet White #2. She said, "Get in the car,"and she raced down to the Superstore like a female Andretti, me with a facecloth, sweats and bare arms (why would I need a coat when I was on fire?). The pharmacist came to our aid I ingested two bennies* at once.  Then back in the car to race home to call the doc. He called in a stronger prescription to the drugstore just in case I needed it. It was a whirlwind for sure and then I got a chill after the fire subsided. The bennies kicked in and I had to lie down by my fireplace in my office and have an afternoon nap, not what I wanted to do – I have stuff to write! Don't you know I'm operating on a deadline! I commented to Janet that it was a crazy way to get me to have a nap.


 

About five o'clock I got up and prepared chicken again for supper. Perhaps I think to quit the chicken cold turkey, do you suppose?


 

Then I recorded background music for my 'show' and wrote a song, just like that. Doug made copies on CDs and we took them down to the radio station, where Gord listened to them and said it was perfect for background music. Perhaps the Benadryl helped me produce quality music, do you suppose? No, I think it was a higher power than that.


 

Anyway, that's my story for today. I'm going in to the radio station, God willing, tomorrow morning to record the first three and Gord said they would be on the radio next week. Now I just have to finish editing them and it's now 9:45 pm. Will she get them done?


 

Stay tuned for "Stay in Tune."


 

!Deb on Fire

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was this the same pot of soup for a week? Perhaps it was too old and poisoned you, eh? Are you still supposed to be doing the "throw out the leftovers after 3 days" thing?

The Workhorse