Saturday 28 November 2009

What a weekend so far

Thursday night, Doug and I recorded "The First Cut is the Deepest," which is the song I'm performing in the rock band I'm in (it's actually a band performing at Doug's work party, but I like to think it's a rock band, because we ARE playing old rock music: U2, Trews, etc.). Doug and I stayed up until almost 2 a.m. We recorded voice tracks, and I played guitar, piano, drums and synth and harmony. Sounded pretty good for home recording. It was fun -- something to do together. Not that we don't do a lot together, because we do.

Friday found me writing a new radio spot, "Unpack Your Heart with Words." Recognize those words, Shakespeare fans? Stay tuned for the spot to be uploaded to the website. Nurse Cherry drove up from Saint John and cleaned my house while I stayed in my office and wrote. Doris joined us for lunch here at the Soul Cafe. After lunch, Cherry and I went in to the radio station, where it was like a party all afternoon. Lots of interviews and contests, and Cherry found herself being a secretary, as Gloria put her in charge and left the building. Someone told Cherry that if you hang around me, you never know WHAT you'll end up doing. I had a great time on air, interviewing people with Gord. It feels so natural. I've had so many people tell me that I have a great radio voice, which I never knew. Apparently, it's a mid-range voice. Doug, Cheryl and I were in a SonLife conference all weekend at our church, and a random man from Nova Scotia who I just met today told me he could listen to me all day long. I found this strange, as all I did was talk occasionally during the meeting, with the odd comment during breaks that I desired chocolate.

So apparently I'm supposed to be on the radio, as I have the voice for it. And no one can tell what you look like on the radio, unless they come in -- like the other day. I requested coffee on air -- that I was craving a coffee, and a delivery man came about ten minutes with coffee and timbits. So I asked for a new car on air, but no one showed up. Yesterday I asked for a carpenter to come and build us a balcony because it is SO hot in there, and I could go outside and get cooled off. But alas, no carpenter came.

Our conference lasted til 3 pm today -- Steve McEvoy taught it and it was fantastic. For those of you who know Steve, I'll put in a plug for his ministry. He is a great teacher.

Tonight, Doug and I went to Musicplex for a band practice. I played the piano and sang harmony with the rockers. Now I'm just like "JEM," Natalie, remember JEM and the Misfits or something? Correct me on their name. Now I'm one of the Misfits, I think. "Our songs are better." Any mother who has a daughter Natalie's age would know what I'm talking about -- a cartoon on TV that Nat was obsessed with. And now your mother is like Jem. Imagine. Tonight was LOUD, and I mean LOUD. It's a wonder I have any eardrums left.

I was invited to sing in Gagetown tomorrow, at Christmas in the Village, but I can't decide whether I'm going or not, because it is 11:30 right now and I haven't a clue what to sing. If it comes to me in the night, perhaps I'll go.

Any way, tomorrow night (Sunday night), I'm hosting a Christmas Gospel concert at Morning Gate Church at 7 pm. I will also sing at this event. If you're free, join us. I feel like a radio host. Or perhaps a blog host.

Today is the first year anniversary of my surgery. And I'm OK.

3 comments:

Becky said...

For the "Jem" in you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmYU4CeuZQ0

Anonymous said...

That would be Jem and the Holograms :)

Nat

Anonymous said...

Yes, Nat, we know...

Mom & Becky