Wednesday 5 August 2009

Aloha from the North

Natalie was in the shower when we arrived on Monday, and Aiden and Josh were sleeping. Doug and I took a tour of the property, then came inside and sat on the couch to see if she would notice us. She walked out of the bathroom, looked straight at me with surprise and came forward with a big hug, exclaiming, "I love your hair!" I love it that both our children love my hair. Silver haired fox, Robin from Fredericton calls me. Fitting, I guess, considering I once was a Fox.

The last couple of days have been filled with activities: exercising on the treadmill and weights in Nat's mini-gym, walks, biking, cooking, cleaning, babying, grocery store, a tour of neighbour Marie's garden, landscaping (I cut bushes out back using huge shears), and meeting friends – Richard & Nicole, the deputy fire chief, and Darlene and Brian, another RCMP man. I want to meet all of the friends before I leave. They have been so supportive of Nat and praying for us over these last few months.

Doug has been Mr. Handyman, and will remain so the entire time we are here. He's a workhorse, just like his daughter. Josh is on a few days off now and is landscaping the lawn. Brian, a fellow RCMP man, just came by and gave Josh the keys to his boat for the month, so we plan on getting on the water soon. Nat drove us out to Clearwater Lake (aptly named; it is amazingly clear) the night we arrived and it is huge! A fisherman can catch vast quantities of fish in this lake.

I wondered how I was going to stay here for three weeks, but I'm settling in. I felt this way at St. Martins, too, wondering how I could stay in one place so long. I am learning how to rest, and I told Nat this morning that I want to consider her home a retreat centre for me. A retreat is a place you go to be apart from regular life, to find yourself so to speak, to meet with God and to rest, both physically and emotionally. I know I need emotional and physical healing from these past few months. What better place to do it than with our daughter in the north? Aiden and I went to The Pas Library yesterday, which is one of the nicest libraries I have ever been in. I took out six books, and will no doubt refer to them from time to time in my writings. I'm into quotes now, and borrowed Jan Karon's 'Father Tim's Favorite Quotes' from the library. Father Tim (from the Mitford series) kept a book of quotes and writings he liked. I decided this morning to start my own book of quotes and inspirational writings and Scriptures that I like. Here's a couple I wrote down today from my readings:

There is a fallow time for the spirit when the soil is barren because of sheer exhaustion (Howard Thurman). I identify with this quote! For years, I have been working, working, working.

A full life requires cultivation. The minute we take our hands off the plow, fail to reseed, forget to fertilize, we've lost our crop (Jean Anderson, A Weekend to Change Your Life). I'm in the cultivation process this month.

In addition to my quote book, I am studying the same passage of Scripture every day until I get back home (Jonah 2:2-10). This activity was assigned to me by the OT Director (I haven't had an assignment from her for awhile). I am to meditate on it every day and write my thoughts in my journal. I think I'll share it with you from time to time. Here's a thought I had two days ago: I think the reason why I've wanted to travel away from home since June is because it's a symbol of traveling AWAY from cancer. And the further away from home I go, the further away from the disease I am – like leaving it AND the memories of it behind.

Well, I must sign off. We're going to have DQ sundaes and watch a movie after Aiden goes to bed. I'll post some pics of this little man when I can. I also want to take some pics of The Pas to share this place with you. All for now… I miss you and I miss New Brunswick, my home sweet home...

!Deb

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you too, but hope you have such a wonderful time there!

Love,
Krista

Anonymous said...

HI:
Glad you are resting. Say Hi to all! Love you and miss you already. (I sent you an email too)

Granny

Becky said...

This is wonderful! It's so great to be able to read and share, in part, your adventure.
Love yas
xo

Anonymous said...

I finally am at home long enough to read your account..........wow....all the way there and no camping!
...glad to see you are doing your assignment!
And happy to read you are doing things with a worship band!
love, OT dir.