Monday 3 August 2009

Manitoba Bound #4

Well, I had a beautiful sleep on a Simmons Beautyrest Innkeeper king-sized bed. I know all this information because I had Doug down on the floor this morning gleaning the information off this amazing bed. Any of you who have heard of my 'bed wars,' looking for the ultimate bed because I can't sleep would understand my passion for finding the perfect bed.

 
 

We headed out about 8:00, and Mrs GPS led us out of Winnipeg to northern Manitoba. We really didn't need her help because we already knew the way, but she's nice to have around when she gives you accurate information. Today's drive has been a surreal drive -- the vast blue sky interspersed with clouds and bursts of rain, long stretches of prairie highway, few vehicles and even fewer houses. On this northern highway, you travel three to four hours with absolutely nothing around you but woods and sky. We stopped at Davis Lake to utilize a public outhouse, and I washed my hands in the so-clear-you-can-see-your-reflection water. I read portions of a book to Doug, and worked on the spreadsheet I've been keeping for the trip. Just call me Mrs. Statistic.

1:35 CT -- we are about 70 km from The Pas. Hard to believe we're almost there. Will I have time for my afternoon nap?

I wonder what Aiden looks like now -- it's been three months since we've seen him. Gram Deb and Papa are on their way, Mr. Mini Dubois! Papa and I have been thinking of names for your new sibling (once your parents decide to add one to the family). While traveling through Wisconsin, we saw some interesting place names which we thought could double for monikers. Here's some ideas for your mom and dad to consider: DeForest DuBois; Dell DuBois; Fridley DuBois; Ho-Chunk DuBois; Baraboo DuBois; McCoy Doug DuBois. These would all be boy names. For the girl's name they could consider Poynette DuBois. You can tell that Papa and I had lots to do on our trip. See you soon, Aiden.

 
 

BTW, I did manage to eat the cheese of Wisconsin and I can see why they are known for their cheese. I am particularly fond of cheese.

 
 

1:44 -- looking for Mr. RCMP man, our son-in-law -- perhaps we'll see him in action somewhere.

2:05 -- Hey Els, just saw a sign for Tim Hortons in The Pas! We're 11 km out, and I'm starting to get excited. If I could put this van into turboboost like Nurse Cherry does with the Cherrymobile, I would.

"A & W Roadside Assistance" sign -- what does that mean? If you go off the road you call for a Papa burger? The Pas actually has an A & W as well as several other fast food joints, but I certainly don't understand that sign. Now it's raining to beat the band and we can hardly see. 1 km outside The Pas…

 
 

2:11 Central Time -- Here we are! The Pas -- Adventure Territory -- right where we want to be! Thank you, God for guiding us here.

 
 

Now for the reunion -- 10th street, here we come! Put the teapot on, Nat….

 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you have arrived safe and sound!! I told you that you would find your answer to your bed woes from a hotel mattress, right??

Love to you all.

S.S. Sis

Anonymous said...

Wow. Glad to hear you are there safe and sound. Now I can sleep peacefully...

Anonymous said...

Glad you are there safe & sound!

Love,
Krista