Saturday 1 August 2009

Manitoba Bound -- Entry #2

Travel Log Day #2: Just stopped at a rest/service area in Leroy, NY where I posted yesterday's blog entry on wi-fi. Don't want Doug out of my sight, but have to let him go to the men's room every so often, and for some reason, I can't follow him in there. After we posted the blog, he Skyped our friend Michel and talked to him in North Carolina. Emailed Mom to tell her where we are so that she won't worry. Bought some water and an Italian coffee ($2.50), and fresh peaches, blueberries and cherries from an outdoor vendor. My arms were loaded with food and drink while Doug carries the laptop around outside, still blabbing away to Michel. I told the vendor that we wouldn't have done this on our honeymoon 31 years ago! How times have changed. While opening the door, I put my coffee on top of the van, so I wouldn't spill it, while opening the door. So, we drove away with the coffee on top of the van, not in my hand, and Doug saw it taking a tumble on the road. Oh well, guess I'm not supposed to have Italian coffee this morning. Good-bye Italy -- maybe I'll drink you again in the future.

 
 

Just passed a sign that reads, "Your mini holiday starts in Canada." You are right, Mr. Sign. Oh Canada, here we come!

 
 

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of our mileage and expenses, and we are averaging 28 mpg thus far, and have spent $83.00 on fuel (and $2.50 on an Italian coffee).

 
 

12:25 pm: just entered Pennsylvania. We're starting to get hungry. Out comes the trail mix until we can forage food for lunch. Lake Erie is breathtaking.

 
 

1:05 -- entering Ohio. 73 miles to Cleveland. I programmed the GPS for Morris, IL, just outside Chicago. The map shows many state parks on Interstate 80. Hey! A motorcycle just passed us and the name on the back of the girl was "Deb." I guess I'll live my dream of motorbiking vicariously through her.

 
 

1:30 -- stopped at Geneva for lunch at Wendy's. Man, that baked potato was good! Doug said, "Well, Ohio is known for their potatoes." No, Doug, that's Idaho.

2:30 -- entering Cleveland, OH. What a big city. Home of the Cleveland Indians (baseball, I think). And the Cleveland Browns, which is football, I believe. I'm going to take some pictures out the window. Hope my camera isn't gone with the wind (pun intended).

4:30 -- bypassed Toledo, and saw the sign for Chicago, Illinois …200+ miles to go. Mrs. GPS says we'll be there towards 9:00 our time, if we didn't have to stop for gas. Ohio is very pretty with miles of flatland, farms, and cornfields so high that all you can see are the tops of barns.

5:30 -- Time to turn the page of my atlas to…. Indiana wants me, no I won't go back there…. Indiana, the Crossroads of America, and I'm having a hot flash. Doug is cold because I have the air conditioning full blast.

Today we have traveled on the New York Thruway, the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the Ohio Turnpike, and now we're on the Indiana Toll Highway. Our toll costs so far? $34.00. At least the gas is cheaper and the roads are flat.

7:30 -- Portage, Indiana -- another toll -- $6.75. Almost through Indiana. Coming up to a sign that says "Congested Sign Ahead." Certainly not like Massachusett's or NY's congestion. We are also changing time zones soon -- Central time, same time zone as Nat in Manitoba. We're on our way, Nat!

7:45 -- Entering Illinois, "The Land of Lincoln." 4 lane traffic -- much larger than Toronto's highway system. "Welcome to the Illinois Tollway." Another toll to pay.

Just saw a billboard with Doug from King of Queens, one of our favorite shows. Watched a lot of Josh's borrowed videos during my treatment period. Made me laugh.

8:25 -- Current mileage traveled today: 1237 km. Yesterday's: 1087 km. And we're still driving. Heading towards Ottawa, Illinois to see if we can stay in a state park.

9:00 (7:00 CT) --"Welcometo Utica, IL --Gateway to Starved Rock." The funny thing about this is that I programmed Ottawa into the GPS and it is taking us to Utica and the Starved Rock National Park(which I did not key in). We're going where the GPS is taking us right now. We're starved and we hope we get more than a rock for dinner. Another strange thing: we stayed in Utica, NY last night and here we are 1300+ km later in Illinois, being directed to a state park by a GPS. Wow. What is it about Utica, anyway? Just went down the main street -- it reminds us of a mini-Moose Jaw.

 
 

After a drive through country fields we discovered that there were no campsites available at Starved Rock State Park, so we stopped at a private park. I thought I was in the wild west then -- we walked in the registration office to find men sitting in chairs in a beaten up shack that looked more like a hunting lodge from the 40's. He wanted $30. cash and I didn't really want to part with it, considering we didn't have much U.S. cash left and we needed to save our cash for tolls. I parted with it and Doug signed the papers. The man gave me $5. back for some reason. We followed a red car that sped to our camp site and I trekked to the bathroom. Well, let me tell you, I couldn't handle the condition of those restrooms (Thank you Century Farmers, for having such clean facilities), so I came out and said to Doug, "I can't do this." I should have known by the condition of the registration office what the 'facilities' would be like. An outdoor toilet would have been cleaner. Doug went back in and asked for a refund and on the road we are again. So much for Starved Rock, and we're still starved.

 
 

It is now 10:00 our time and the sun is about to set. It is a beautiful night on the prairies, and we have no idea why we went on that little detour, but are on the search for another state park further north. We may just drive until we see a hotel again and leave the camping for yet another day. The thing with us is that we just like to drive and drive and drive. It's always been this way with us. We just want to get a little further on down the road.

10:46 (AT) --Heading for Wisconsin on yet another toll highway. Doug still wants to drive until we see a place to stay. He just likes driving, I think -- 1430 km so far and he's still going, like the Energizer bunny. I've had 1 1/2 sleeps today (figure that out). We also love to drive at night.

 
 

We finally took an exit and are staying at Holiday Express in Rockford, IL, after having had problems with the self-serve toll booth. This place is a far cry from the wild west campsite we encountered a couple of hours ago. Now this is more like it. I'm not much of a camper today. Too spoiled, I guess. The desk clerk gave us a break after we told her we were from Canada and had driven 1400 km. Now we're tired. I realize this travel log is probably disjointed and long winded, but that's how the day has been. Good night. Hoping to make it to Winnipeg tomorrow….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun - the great adventure west!
miss you and love you.
Kim