Saturday 1 August 2009

Manitoba Bound 2009

Day One -- Friday, July 31

Left at noon from Fredericton, after filling up the van at the Irving station with a donated gift card (K. Mason). Traveled through Vanceboro, ME border crossing. Don't think I've ever been that way before.

The roads to the #6 were quite bad, but not much traffic. We shaved off an hour or so of travel by going that way. Stopped at Irving Station in Lincoln, ME for facilities, snacks and gas. (1:30).

 
 

Began to rain past Bangor. I slept off and on. We made it to Portland without traffic, but encountered major traffic on 495 in Mass. At 7:15 ET, we stopped again-- outside Worcester, after having experienced major traffic. The pace is unreal-- we don't want to live here! Trying to make it to Albany, NY, which is a lot further than where we thought we would be tonight. We were just going to go to the bottom of Maine!

 
 

It's been raining most of the day, so we may stay in a motel tonight, and it's now dusktime. Perhaps I should sing the Dusktime song to myself, Nat & Jon….

 
 

Been driving up the highway gradually to the highest elevation in MA. Amazing sunset through the mountains. Crossed under a bridge that said "Appalachian Trail." It is now 9:26 ET and it's getting dark. We're 47 km from Albany, NY.

 
 

9:16 ET -- crossing the Hudson River. Sign says, "Montreal, Left Lane." "South NY City." But we're going towards Buffalo now. New York City will have to wait for me. Now we're going to stop in Schenectady, NY. Doug says he isn't tired. He's only been driving since noon, and it's 10:17 our time.

 
 

Well, we just passed Schenectady, and Doug still wants to drive on, so I programmed the GPS to Utica, NY. My job is programming, his job is driving. It is now going on 11 hours of driving. My husband -- a truck driver always. I'm typing on my laptop in the dark (the screen is lit up), and we're passing cars and trucks left, right and centre. We enjoy driving in the dark. Doug says he can see what everyone is doing better. I can't believe I've been sitting this long -- resting.

 
 

Well, we're almost to Utica. It's 11:30 Atlantic -- 12 hours of driving. PTL -- It's a Go! Arrived at Super 8 -- didn't like the bed -- too soft. Across the street to the Scottish Inn, owned and operated by people who were definitely not Scottish. Appropriate place to stay, given Doug MacDonald is Scottish. I told the woman I needed a firm bed. She led us to room #106, where I was happy with the bed, but then she took us to room #102, where there were two Tempura memory foam beds-- Ahh! It felt good to lie down and we had a wonderful rest.

 
 

Day 2 -- Saturday, August 1

 
 

Awoke at 6 our time. Doug made me toast and coffee and we were on the road again at 8. Just entering the Erie Canalway. It's a beautiful morning -- lots of fields here along the NY turnpike (I-90). We've been traveling on great highways -- don't you just appreciate a good road? Set the GPS for Chicago -- it says that we'll be there by 6:14 tonight.

 
 

Well, it's 9:45 AM (AT), and we are south of Rochester. Beautiful country -- fields of corn are everywhere. The landscape has a prairie feel to it. Just passing an Illinois limousine - wonder who's in there? Probably President Obama on his way to Chicago. Hi, Mr. President.

 
 

Just passed some horses in a field, Cousin Els, and a place where they sell horse trailers. It is so soothing to sit and watch the countryside. I'm glad we didn't fly.

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 


1 comment:

Linda said...

"Watching" you guys travel West reminds me of the old western shows like "Ponderosa" where they would show their travels on parchment maps! :-) You are traveling in similar territory we traveled last summer when we went to Chicago with B&C.

So thankful to God to read that Dr R said you are well, !Deb! In the song "Amazing Grace" there are these words: "The LORD has promised good to me ...". It struck me recently in the midst of corporate worship one Sunday that even when bad things happen, the LORD's promise to me is still GOOD! Keep claiming and proclaiming that, !Deb.

Love and hugs to you and your trucker man; keeping the prayer cover over you! oxo :-)