Thursday 13 August 2009

Cakes and Dogs

Today I rose and shone at 9:15 (my mother would appreciate this; every day she would wake me up in her cheery voice. "Rise and shine!"she would call as she entered my room). Doug and I shared coffee outside, something we've been doing of late. I made a trip to the grocery store at Natalie's request to pick up strawberries and whipping cream in order to save her 'disaster' of a birthday cake she made for Debbie W. We had several laughs over this cake. Nat has inherited my cake decorating skills, which I inherited from MY mother. The cake looked like a white Leaning Tower of Pisa with a strawberry moat around it. However, it received rave reviews as to taste at the party, which was held at Nicole's at noon. Debbie really liked her cake that Nat put so much effort into. Happy Birthday, Deb. You don't look a day over 30. Fireman Richard barbequed and a good time and food was had by all. After lunch, a few of us checked out a dog breed book they had, and found great pleasure in that for some reason. Natalie especially. I was hoping that they had a cat book as well, since Nat loves cats so much. Kelsie said she's going to get Nat one for Christmas.

I walked home on the walking path, taking pictures of flowers on the way. Nat and I then took a trip to Giant Tiger, where I set the alarm off twice, and had to explain that I recently had radiation. The manager said, "Oh, well, we'll let you off then. But you look great." Thanks. I've set off a couple of alarms around town. I found a great bargain on a hardcover book called, "The Cat Who Talked Turkey" by Lillian Jackson Braun. I think I paid $1.60 for it, and purchased it for Nat. It's about this man who solves mysteries using his cat. For some reason, I read one of the novels years ago and actually enjoyed it. I can't wait til Nat reads it, and since it's a gift from her mom, I'm sure she'll be sure to read it. We checked out a new clothing store run by a very nice Polish man, and met his dog, who also works in the store. The breed is very different, to say the least. A large dog, a Slovakian hunting dog, I believe he said. We've never shopped with a dog before, nor been waited on by one. First time for everything, I guess.

After a few more stops including my gluten-free store I shop at, we were extremely tired and Aiden even more so. I picked up a chicken at the grocery store for supper, added leftovers and Voila! Supper! After supper, I went outside and gave Doug a haircut. Oh, I didn't mention I was a hairdresser? I used the electric mowing machine as Doug calls it, and did a superb job, if I say so myself. I told him I was glad it was HIS hair I was shaving, and not him shaving my hair. And that I never want him to have to shave my head ever again. Speaking of my hair, I've got waves on the back and curls on the side, with straight up top. Strange but true. It will be interesting what it looks like once it gets back to normal.

Well, Doug and I are going to worship team practice tonight. Natalie is staying home with Aiden, and Josh is working. Another day almost completed in The Pas. It seems I'm waiting for something, but not sure what. I want to start working again, I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the dog help you pick out any clothes? What next=)!! Keep havin' fun!

Love,
S.S. Sis

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again. Just got back today (Fri) from Grand Lake with H&F and H&M. Had a good time talking about 'old' times! Hot here in F'ton today. over 30C.

MUM