Thursday 1 January 2009

New Year’s Eve

I woke up this morning singing an ABBA song. My sister called and said that Mom cannot get "Dancing Queen" out of her mind. We had a Mamma Mia movie night the other night, so the songs are still fresh in our minds. I read yesterday that disco is on its way back; that people need to dance to relieve their stress. You got that right. I hope to dance tonight by the Christmas tree, to celebrate the new year. Doug has agreed to dance with the Dancing Queen.

Received another package in the mail today. This time from good ol' Nova Scotia. From our friend and ministry partner, Laurie. She sent me her labour of love – pink, cream and taupe knitted blanket, stitched with prayer for me. Thank you, Laurie – I love it already, and it matches my new chair perfectly. Isn't that cool? No, it's warm, not cool.

I spent the early part of this day writing, reading, and eating. Forgot to do the 'rithmetic; must do some algebra, a quadratic equation or something. Writing in my journal, writing on my blog. Reading Scripture. Eating whole foods – dates, figs, Red Delicious apples (including the seeds), oranges, lemons, yogurt. Must be time for some more brussel sprouts, I've an affinity to them lately; I eat them as a cold snack, believe it or not. Not too long ago it was broccoli that was my vegetable of choice. And carrots and hummus. No one could ever accuse me of eating unhealthy these past couple of years, except for occasional chips and chocolate. I need now more than ever to be conscious of what I put into my body, I guess. To build up my immune system. Funny how when you're faced with a threatening illness that you suddenly become aware of what you're eating. Although over the past couple of years, I have been eating extremely good foods, in my opinion. Talking to Q this morning – I told her that I wanted 2009 to be a year of HOPE and HEALTH. She added to that: "REST AND RELAXATION, HOPE AND HEALTH." R & R and H & H. Yes. A new motto. A new motto for a new year.

I miss The Workhorse (Natalie). That's what I called her. She gets 'er done. She's all that and a bag of chips. Everything she does, she does with purpose and an amazing work ethic. Wonder where she learned that? From my mother, I guess, another workhorse. Happy New Year, Natalie – to you, Josh and Baby Aiden, who will be walking the next time I see him. Thanks for spending the last part of 2008 with us.

Doug and I had the evening to ourselves (J. & D., your prayers were answered). Watched a movie, couple of TV shows, played foam dominoes (ever played those?), and watched a CBC documentary on Mamma Mia and ABBA, if you can believe it. I can. I think it was on just for me. I told Doug I know why I loved those ABBA songs – I sang and danced to them while a teenager, when life was carefree and we had our whole lives ahead of us. And I was so in love with Doug. You know, I'm even more in love with Doug today. Those songs represented a time in my life when I could express myself – throwing back my head and laughing, dancing, not a care in the world. Making people laugh and making myself laugh at how I danced. And how I danced. I was a dancing queen. (I know, I've said this before). So tonight at midnight, we broke open the sparkling, threw balloons up into the air, and at each other, and began to dance to ABBA's Greatest Hits. Yes, we danced and danced and danced – just like when we were teenagers. We laughed; we took videos of each other dancing. I know my husband loves me now – he danced. I have a song outside my house that says, "Live each day; Forgive everything; Love with abandon." I think I will add "Dance with abandon," because that's what I did tonight – I danced like I used to dance – with abandon. And I loved it – it made me feel young again, full of hope. Thank you, my dear husband, for dancing and being crazy with me. Doug has called me "The Queen" for quite awhile. It must be time to go to bed, isn't it? It's only 1:25 a.m. But we're here listening to ABBA blaring in the music room and watching the New Year's Celebrations on American television. Just like when we were young and stayed up all night listening to the year's greatest hits. Remember that? Must be time to eat again or go to sleep, confused as to which to do next. I really want to dance some more. We'll see.

I would like 2009 to be a year of laughter. I love to laugh. I love to make others laugh. I love making children laugh, and I loved making my own children laugh by telling silly stories and dancing funny dances. I want people to make me laugh. I was reading Dr. W. Merrell's blogspot today (www.woodsonmerrell.com) and his comments on laughter:

"A Daily Dose of Laughter

A new report published at the annual meeting of the American Physiological Society in San Diego suggests that not only is laughter good for you, but even the anticipation of laughter has beneficial effects. Researchers at Loma Linda University had a group of men watch funny videos. I was encouraged but not surprised to see that the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline decreased during--and as much as 30 minutes after--watching the videos. But I was surprised and delighted to see that stress hormones decreased before
the videos started, while participants were waiting to watch funny video bits that they themselves had selected earlier. In fact, adrenaline decreased 70% while just waiting to be amused! A previous study by the same researchers demonstrated anticipation of laughter caused beneficial elevations in levels of the mood-elevating hormone, beta endorphin, and the immunity enhancing human growth hormone. All of this data gives new importance to getting a daily dose of the giggles.
In THE SOURCE, [his book], you will find a discussion of the healing properties of laughter in the chapter on mind-body medicine called Power Mind, Boundless Energy. I point out that one study conducted in Japan and published in a peer reviewed journal in the U.S. found that nursing mothers who laughed while watching the Charlie Chaplin movie, Modern Times, had higher levels of the beneficial hormone melatonin in their breast milk, which reduced their babies' previously diagnosed allergic skin reactions to latex and dust. This small study offers a wonderful window into the mysteries of human nature. It's clear to me that laughter is a built in healing mechanism.


 

I want to have a daily dose of the giggles. I want the anticipation of laughter. I grew up laughing at Red Skelton, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball, and Carol Burnett. I actually wanted to be like all of them (as well as Mr. Dress Up, Mr. Rogers, and the Friendly Giant). I can't wait to watch the Mary Tyler Moore episodes. I think I'll watch The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy, too. Now to go on a search for them… Anticipation is making me wait…

Waiting to be amused, I enter 2009…. Happy New Year, everyone. God bless you all.


 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Deb - remember Patch Adams? I think you have something there about the healing powers of laughter. I recommend a daily dose of the giggles - for all of us!

www.patchadams.org

Gesundheit!

oxo
Lin :-)
Happy New Year!
(I see I'm logged on as Reg but I'm really me.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mama,
I was just demonstrating some of your dance moves for the girls the other night, and told our Mexi Cala Rosa and Canadian Tire stories. They got quite a kick out of our craziness. I love you and miss you and I'm glad you and Papa had a good new year.

Love nat