Tuesday 27 January 2009

Received an email from E. today in Grand Manan. She sent me some history on African women and their head wrap. She said that perhaps I could bring the head covering for Christian women back in vogue (LOL). Well, I think maybe she's on to something. I've been invited to a luncheon on Thursday at S.'s house, and I said that we would all need to wear a hat to the luncheon. So there. Here is the history on African women:

Modesty is among a woman's attributes and the head wrap symbolizes the woman's genteel spirit. It has, for years and years, been an item inseparable from the African woman's head.

The head wrap is a piece of square or rectangular cotton material and there are various ways it can be folded or molded and tied atop the head. Each part of Africa has its own style of wearing the head wrap, some areas more flamboyant than others. One can therefore tell at a glance from which region of African the wearer or the head wrap originates. The most primary use of the head wrap is protection of the head from the sun's glare, wind, dust and cold, though in some areas, the head wrap is a part of the traditional and/or religious custom.

In all regions however, the head wrap has always been a piece of décor for the African women. The more complicated the wrap style the fancier it is. When a new garment is ordered from the tailor, there is always ample fabric allowed for the head wrap to complete the costume.

Well, I guess I am modest now; I'm wearing a head wrap. And I'm from the flamboyant region of New Brunswick – Superior City.

I'm now into my second day of being bald and beautiful. I've already discovered a few things I didn't know before:

  • I am colder now, which helps out with hot flashes
  • I am using a satin pillowcase, which tends to be warmer than cotton, but good for Mrs. Baldy in keeping her head semi-warm at night
  • Hair care means swiping a facecloth over the head, which is exhilarating in itself
  • Applying moisturizer to the complete head is unusual but soothing
  • What hat do I wear today? If any, depending on whether I go out or not. Most definitely cannot go out without a head covering
  • I feel free and unencumbered without hair (OK, maybe I'm stretching it a bit)
  • I know what Doug feels like now (and Reg)
  • I don't need gel or mousse, so am having a yard sale on hair products
  • Wool hats get stuck on my stubble
  • People like my new look and think I look younger (Yes!)
  • E., my physiotherapist that I saw this morning held my bald head in her hand as she gave me treatment on my shoulders and arms
  • People are not really bothered whether they see me bald or not
  • Wondering about whether I'm brave enough to go out in public without a hat – I'll find out over time

     

    Must go – Cuz Els is coming for tea, and Cuz C brought dinner. Cousins, friends, family, mail carriers who care, the presence of God – who could ask for anything more?

"Even all the hairs on your head are numbered." (Matt 10:30)


 


 


 


 


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb - Jeanette just told me about your blog today. I love the pictures; they reminded me of Judy Hume from our church in Hanwell, who went through the same thing last summer. She collected a variety of beautiful and fun head gear to wear, especially for our mission trip to Germany. On the hot days, and when we were driving, she often "let it all hang out". Bald is beautiful !!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, you are just so BEAUTIFUL in and out. Love,

Flic Flac Family