Sunday 4 January 2009

This morning I prayed that God would help me lead the music at church, and give me the words to say. I planned on speaking about five or ten minutes on hope. Not really sure what I would say, but I took a mug that said "HOPE" on it to church with me. I knew that I would read Psalm 42, which is the psalm I used when I was in Campobello the weekend before I was diagnosed. "Why are you downcast, O my soul; and my tears have been my food day and night" type of psalm, with "I will put my hope in God" interspersed throughout.

I was late getting to church for music practice, and I'm the one who set the time. I'm so out of schedule that I have a hard time with time lately. I told the worship team that this would be an 'act of God' this morning, and it truly was. God came through for me, as usual. Pastor Patrick told me that he didn't think he was to preach this morning, that I was. I guess I knew it in my spirit, and that I would simply share what I am going through. I asked God to fill my mind with the words He wanted me to say. He certainly did – tears, a bit of humour, expressing my heart to my friends at the church. I was touched to look out in the crowd and see many people crying with me and for me. I went to the piano and sang "Faithful One" with all my heart, for He is my faithful God, who will never leave me nor forsake me. The elders and the pastor laid hands on me and Doug and prayed for us, with the congregation reaching out holy hands in agreement that we would have strength for this journey, and experience God's healing. The body of Christ is beautiful. Then I went back to the piano to play and sing for communion. The Lord's presence was very beautiful this morning, as He ministered to us all. We are blessed to be part of this wonderful church family who care so deeply for one another.

D. took me out to lunch, then I came home anticipating a nap. Quite exhausted from the morning's events. But first, I decided to email the parents of my music students to tell them that I won't be able to teach their children for awhile. I have been putting this off, because it's been so hard to make that decision. I love my students and will miss them. I pray that they will do their absolute best. Made some tea, and watched football for a few minutes. Have I mentioned that I love football? It's that whole pushing through the enemy line thing; bit by bit the team makes a touchdown. The team works together; they spur one another on. Isn't that what it's all about?

Had a little nap, then Uncle F. & Aunt H., cousins M. & R. came to visit. They are from 'up river,' if you know what that means. We had a short visit, but a nice one. I am amazed at how many people come from far away to visit. It touches me. G. from church came by with a HOPE sign for me. She said that after hearing my talk this morning in church she knew it was for me. It's beautiful. I seem to be accumulating angels and words in my home, constant reminders to believe that God is at work in my life. And He is.

We were invited to adopted cousins M. & P. in new Maryland for a roast beef dinner with all the fixin's. A couple of weeks ago, P. asked me what she could do. I said, "I would like a roast beef dinner," which is an odd statement for me to make, considering I'm not a big fan of meat. They also invited adopted cousin Els & D. to the meal. Els said that was a great request to make to P., as she can cook a roast like nobody's business. It was the BEST roast beef I've tasted, I believe, and I had two helpings, which is another miracle. For dessert, P. had made rice pudding for me (and she didn't know my love for this delectable dessert), and raisin pie for Doug. She also did not know Doug's love for raisin pie. Coincidence? I think not. M. had also made up some lovely applesauce to die for. We had wonderful conversation, and left with the leftovers for tomorrow's meal. I especially enjoyed Els' adventures with her knitted cardigan and had several laughs throughout the evening.

Well, must go get ready for bed. Tomorrow morning, I go to the hospital to have a MUGA scan (heart scan). I am injected with nuclear dye, wait for 2 ½ hours and they scan my heart, to make sure I'm strong enough to undergo chemotherapy. Tuesday is the day I go to the cancer unit for 2-3 hours. I want to be prepared – mentally, spiritually, and physically. If you're the praying type, I ask you to pray to that end.

This is a good verse for me to put into practice:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all human understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil 4; Deb's memorization translation).

PS: My movie pick of the week: August Rush. It will bring you to tears and inspire you that anything is possible for those who BELIEVE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

I am envisioning all that you did yesterday. I am in tears writing this email because I miss you. I may not know you as well as others, but you have touched my heart. I am of the praying type and will gladly bring you to HIM today and tomorrow.

Blessings, Kim (young one)

Anonymous said...

Deb,
Right around 2:30 this afternoon God placed you on my heart to pray for you. I have been praying, but truly felt the urge to pray for you then. Not sure why. Also wished I could just hug you. (((hug)))

Much love,
Krista