Tuesday 14 April 2009

Busy Day

Natalie took Aiden to his other grandmother, then to the Passport office and the gym. I walked from our house down to the stone bridge and back, just me and my IPod. I was happy I could walk that far. Nat and I had lunch and then went over town for the afternoon. To Home Depot for paint chips in case Natalie has the energy to repaint my bedroom (she painted it when we moved in five years ago); to the oncology unit to get my PICC line cleaned; to Doug's office (without hitting my head this time); to Michael's Arts and Crafts, where we basically stood in awe at the vast array of 'stuff' but only bought a glue stick; and finally to The Blue Door restaurant for sweet potato fries with chipotle mayo and blackened Caesar salad. We met Doug there, and Janet White #1 joined us as well. When we got home, we played with Aiden on the floor, as he walked all over the place, falling every few seconds and laughing. Oh, the joy of having a baby around. Makes you forget your troubles for awhile.

After that, it was to the couch for me, and I am lying down with my laptop as I write these few words. Natalie and I decided this afternoon that we really need an afternoon rest, because we ran out of steam mid-afternoon and thought we might have to have a rest in the van. By now, I'm so used to operating on 50% or less energy, that it will be a wonderful day when I can truly say "I feel good – like I knew that I would now….." Isn't that a song? One and half weeks til chemo #6, and the removal of my PICC line. That will be a relief in itself – to be able to have full use of my arm and be able to have a shower without someone else wrapping up my arm in plastic wrap. And another thing I'm looking forward to: HAIR - and lots of it. I know people say I look great without hair, but I would really rather have hair than not. I'm tired of being bald. And having thick eyebrows and eyelashes. And not wondering what people are thinking about you when they see you without hair. Do they feel sorry for me? They usually smile, so I think so. I don't want people to feel sorry for me. I can't hide anything right now. You know what I want? (This is me on a soapbox again). I want to make a difference with the next half of my life. A real difference. That's what I want. Thanks for listening to me ramble once again.

He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. (2 Cor 1:4)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deb,
A joy to read your blog and feel connected to you. Blessings for today-- soak up the awesome warmth that the weatherman promises. Spring is here!
Love,
Kimm M