Friday 3 April 2009

Marlene from Calgary called me in the early afternoon to encourage me. She had breast cancer in 2007, and has been reading the blog, and could relate to what I'm going through. We compared notes and I asked her questions. Her call came at just the right time. I find it amazing that God puts it in the hearts of people to call or visit at the moment I need encouragement.

We went to the oncology unit this afternoon to have a blood test and meet with Dr. Broad. After a few remarks from the staff that Doug and I look alike (I get this a lot. Shouldn't you look like your spouse after being married as long as we have?), we met with Dr. Broad. We're waiting for one more result, but she was quite sure I'll be able to take chemo #5 on Monday. We talked about emotional ups and downs, some of which is medication related. And about pain and how to control it. I have a lot of sharp pain in my body today. Could be the weather as well. We came out of her office and had some more laughs with the staff. I wanted to make it out before I made a scene, but alas, dropped my daffodils on the floor three times before I made it out of there. Where did I get the daffodils, you ask? A random secretary gave them to me when I came out of the doctor's office. She must have thought I was Demi Moore or something.

Before I made it out of the hospital, I had chats with Cynthia F., Dr. Plummer, K. Mason, Joe C. and Linda H. I should set up a visiting booth there. Linda told me that her pastor Karl (First Wesleyan) is in hospital, so I thought I would put it on the blog and ask for prayer for him. He's a great guy.

Sandra and Randy took us out to dinner at The Blue Canoe. When we arrived, we were asked if we wanted to support the Cancer Relay for Life. I took my ball cap off to show that I'm a survivor. The woman was so encouraging and said she wanted to hug me. "Sure you can hug me." Amazing how shared experiences makes you an immediate friend with someone. I told her that last year we attended the event in June in Fredericton because Randy was singing at it. I found it a surreal experience at the time, and now I know why. I'm a survivor, too.

We came home for tea, looked at pictures of Randy and Sandra's daughter's wedding, and watched Red Skelton on video. Had a bite of fudge that Doug won today at the Rehab, and off they went to dreamland. Natalie, we'll save you some fudge. It's waiting for you.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to have a pedicure at The Beehive, where I've been getting my hair done for 10 years. I don't have any hair, so might as well get my feet done (the pedicure is a gift from a couple of friends). My hairdresser called today and told Doug for me not to book anything after the pedicure, that she has something planned after the pedicure. I wonder what she's up to? I didn't even think she worked Saturdays. Perhaps she will dye my baldhead red or something. Deb, the red baldhead. That way I won't look like Doug anymore. Many people have told me they like my bald look and that I should keep it this way, but I'm not convinced yet. I like my hair and I'll be glad to get my hairbrush out of hiding. Then I can start singing The Veggie Tales song, "Oh, where is my hairbrush, oh where is my hairbrush, oh where oh where oh where oh where oh where…..is my HAIRBRUSH?"

2 comments:

Linda said...

Deb: Dedicating this song to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtHr7gluh08

oxo
Lin :-)

Anonymous said...

Is Dr. Plummer your doctor? Just wondering. He's mine. :)

Krista