Thursday 16 April 2009

It was a beautiful day. Sunshine and warmth pervaded the day in more ways than one. The OT Director picked me up at 9:30 this morning and took me to a womens' Bible study over town. During prayer time, they gathered around me and prayed for strength and health. It was beautiful. Then one of the women led in song and in study. It felt good to sit and soak it in. Afterwards, they invited me to sing and speak sometime in the future. I was truly blessed to be there. When we got home, Natalie and Aiden were having a morning nap (Aiden was up in the night again!), and so we went for a long walk up the Claudie Road, towards the golf course (I think I'll be a golf pro). After lunch, Nat, Aiden and I went over to cousin C's to sit on her deck. She's knitting a sweater for her new grandbaby, Mason. Cousin C is a knitting 'machine,' that's what she is. Never stops creating or cooking something, and never seems to run out of energy.

I drove up to the Parish of Douglas (a few miles away) to Able Orthotics, to meet Jonathan Robinson, the Pedorthist. He assessed my feet and did a fitting for INSOLES (not implants as I previously thought). We discovered that we knew of each other and we had a nice chat. Now I need to go to Quality Shoes and get a couple of pairs of shoes made in Israel on approval for next week's appointment. Good thing I don't have to FLY to Israel to get them, and can just go over town.

Home again, home again, to sit outside on the verandah and have a chat with Matthew, our 14 year old neighbor. Today he learned about the Pythagorean theorem: The square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides. Matt doesn't think it will benefit him much in life, but Natalie and I think it will. We want him to come over sometime and teach us the theorem so we can learn and apply it to our lives.

We then packed up the high chair and the baby and took off to Mom and Dad's for the best hamburgers in the world. I had called a couple of days ago and put in my order. After dishes (which they did), a brief rest and observing Aiden's love of walking, we fired up the Scrabble game. The OT Director showed up again and the four of us played a game while Aiden watched Baby Einstein on his own personal DVD player in his high chair. Doug watched the Discovery Channel and Dad played Solitaire on his computer (three men with different technologies). I won the first game with a score of 142 (I've been winning many games while on chemo; I must be more aware of things or something). Natalie packed up Aiden and went home, and the remaining three played a second game. I won the second game as well, with a score of 269! I have never had such high scores in Scrabble before. Doug and I arrived home to see Natalie watching Survivor, the only show she watches (she started watching it while in Saskatchewan; I think it reminds her of home). I can't seem to get into Survivor, the show. I'm starring in my own Survivor show.

I felt so encouraged today – by the people I met, by the sunshine and by being with family, friends and neighbours. Each day is a university. Each day is a blessing. I must remember this. Live each day and be thankful for each day. We just don't know when our last day will be.

My heart goes out to Susan Baker and her family in Perth-Andover. Susan is a close friend of my Brenda, my sister. Her mother passed away today from cancer. She was only 68 years of age. They just found out recently that she had cancer, so it was quite a shock to them. Our prayers are with you, Susan. We can only imagine what you are going through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL mattt