Thursday 23 April 2009

Yesterday and Today

Here is a summary of the last two days:

Yesterday

  • Nat went to gym with Aiden (he's doing very well in the day care at the gym, socializing with the other children)
  • I was very tired, but needed to go shopping for my new shoes before my Thursday appointment
  • A trip to Quality Shoes in Kings Place with Mom & Brenda to pick out new shoes for my orthotics
  • To Tony's Music Box where Michael (the owner) chased us out of the store to give us a hug. He's so lovable and kind!
  • Card making in the afternoon for Mom, Brenda and Natalie. Natalie was her usual 'workhorse' self, mass producing cards, while Mom and Brenda lethargically and artistically created a minimal amount of cards. I made 1 ½ cards and the OT director thought about making a card
  • Sharon from Campobello Island dropped in with gifts and best wishes. It was so good to see the island girl. I told her to tell the island girls I miss them, and to start working on the uniforms for the volleyball tournament in August. I'm hoping to be in top form by then (smile)
  • Cheryl arrived from Saint John and gave nursing advice on Brenda's sore toe, which she was soaking in a borrowed footbath while creating cards
  • I went to the couch for a much needed rest before going out for evening
  • Cheryl made a snack for supper and we went to the church for the evening to lead music with Max, Janette, Carolyn, Phenny & Sandra (Linda was there but had bronchitis, so she couldn't sing with us). We all were tired, but managed to sing our little hearts out
  • Home about 10:30. I was up til almost 1 as I couldn't get to sleep. Brenda spent the night with a bread poultice on her toe, a couple of Advils and she was out like a light. Cheryl slept on the couch like a baby, and Baby Aiden was up at 5:30 a.m. with his mother. Doug slept well, as usual.

Today

  • Breakfast with Cheryl, Natalie and Aiden
  • I had a stomach ache all morning and very tired again. Spent the morning in the chair
  • Brenda arrived for coffee and we watched Aiden play in the living room
  • Natalie made cornmeal muffins and at 11 we had a form of brunch
  • Cheryl read in Prevention magazine that roast beef and carrots should be eaten together to boost your immunity, and since my blood work is tomorrow, we decided we needed to have roast beef for dinner (the second time this week!). So Aiden went to bed, Natalie went to the grocery store, Brenda soaked her toe, Cheryl covered me up in a blanket and left for Sackville to pick up her daughter. Thanks, Nurse Cheryl for your traveling ministry.
  • At 1 pm, I borrowed Brenda's car and went to Ortho Man for my orthotic 'implants.'
  • The OT director arrived to be Aiden's nanny for the afternoon. She reported to us that Aiden is very intelligent. Thanks, OT girl, you're great!
  • Brenda prepared the roast beef dinner and put it in the oven to cook for the afternoon
  • Nat, Brenda, Mom and I went to The Clay Café

    on Queen Street to paint mugs, a dinosaur and a turtle. This was our first time there. It was a wonderful calming experience. Our creations will be ready on Sunday after they are fired in the kiln.
  • Dad joined us for our roast beef dinner. He asked how much the meal was. I told him $12.50 a plate. He wasn't sure if he could afford to eat at The Soul Café, but I gave him mercy and didn't charge him. Aiden ate roast beef with a passion -- a budding carnivore, I guess.
  • After dishes were washed and the floor cleaned up due to Aiden's passion for throwing food, we hauled out the Scrabble game
  • Two games of Scrabble while playing with Aiden on the kitchen floor, Natalie performing the downward dog and the upward cat
    to alleviate the pain in her back, and Brenda soaking her big toe once again (Mom was the only person not multitasking). Lots of laughs and confusion. I did not get great Scrabble scores this week. Lost my Scrabble touch I guess.
  • Time to say good-bye to Brenda yet again. (She has been here five times since December, and I'm not complaining, but her new car certainly notices the mileage)
  • Loaded up Brenda's arms with many parting gifts to take back to Shelburne, along with Doug's open-toed sandals to wear. She needs to get that toe fixed up so she can 'walk this way' and come up here again. I told her I would see her next week AND next month. "No," she said. But we'll see. I wish we lived closer. Same with Nat. Wouldn't it be great if Canada was a smaller country? Like Luxembourg?
  • Waiting for Doug to come home – we miss him. He's been at the church doing sound for the conference.


     

    Lesson learned: It is wonderful to have family and friends around to help you through difficult times and just BE with you.


     

    Tomorrow: blood test at 11:30, Dr. Broad at 1 pm. Praying that she will say, "Yes, it's a go for Monday for last chemo treatment!"


     

    Doug – I've got the porch light on…


     


     

No comments: