Monday 27 April 2009

Chemo is History!

Celebrate good times – come on! Let's celebrate! Celebrate good times – come on! Let's celebrate!

There's a party going on right here, a celebration to last throughout the years.

So bring your good times and your laughter, too

We're gonna celebrate your party with you! (Kool & the Gang)


 

It's hard to believe – I am done chemo! And we're celebrating! I hugged Audra, my nurse and told her I would see her in three weeks, when I go back to see Dr. Raza for follow-up. I love the nurses in there: Charlene, Audra, Karen, Cheryl, Heather, Barbara – they take good care of their clients. And the clerks, the doctors, the resource nurse, the pharmacists, the dietitian, the social worker, and the psychologist – what a great support network the DECH has set up for us.


 

Audra called Saint John Regional Hospital to tell them I am finished chemo. They will call me in the next week or two to book me for radiation in 4-5 weeks from now. I walked out of the oncology unit this morning, and felt a sense of freedom and sadness at the same time. All the staff are so caring and what a great support they are to those going through this dreadful disease. Dr. Broad told me that many patients feel a let down when they're done coming in to the unit for treatment because it's the place they are cared for physically, and gives them a feeling of getting well. She assured me that they won't just "drop me," but will be following me every three months for a couple of years, and up to five years until I get a clean bill of health.


 

Outside the unit, I hugged those who were with me – Doug, Natalie and Janet White #1 – "I'm done, I'm done! I can't believe it! Thank you, Lord!" Still hard to believe I'm done this segment of the journey.


 

Natalie and I arrived home to relieve Grammie from Aiden sitting duties, although he was in bed sleeping. Aiden was up most of the night. Today he has a raging cold. Natalie went to bed when we got home, and Doris came over to visit. Doug came home from work, as he was not feeling well and went to bed about 1:30. It is now almost 8:30 pm, and he is still sleeping. He does not feel well, so I will be camping out in the living room tonight. I don't mind, however, I sleep better on the floor anyway (for any of you who know me, you know this to be true!). And what better way to celebrate the end of chemo than to have a camp out! Natalie said we should roast marshmallows and set up the tent. We'll see about that.


 

So, even though we have two sick people in the house and one recovering from cancer, and one tired Mama, we're still celebrating. Natalie finally got up from her long spring nap, and went to Superstore to buy a raft of groceries. Doris and I took Aiden for a long walk, and I used the stroller as a type of walker on the way back, as I was a bit weary. Celebrating with a long spring walk down the walking trail in the sun. "Happy Trails to Me." I put Aiden to bed, but alas, he did not go to sleep. Doris and I spent some time in prayer, thanking God for His provision and care over this past few months.


 

Natalie arrived home with many groceries, and beautiful tulips for me, with a card attached: "You did it! I'm so proud of you! Love, Nat & Aiden." So sweet – she's sweet and so helpful – we love having them here. I couldn't ask for a better daughter. God has been so good to us in providing us two wonderful children, who are now adults and able to take care of us, emotionally and physically.


 

We were going to have a BBQ meal for dinner, but since Doug didn't wake up, we made dinner on the stove and had a twosome celebration. Then we packed Aiden into the van and to Dairy Queen we did go for celebration sundaes. Now to put a sleepy Aiden to bed, and perhaps watch a movie to end off the day of celebration.


 

Marlene from Calgary called tonight with encouragement, and wants me to check out this website: cancerrecovery.org. She has gained much help from the site. I have put it as one of my 'favorites,' and I thought I would list it here in case someone wants to forward it to someone that is recovering from cancer. Thanks, Marlene – I hope to meet you in person some day. You and me – cancer survivors!


 

So, this is Celebration Day – celebrate with me – my chemo is finished. Praise God from whom all blessings come!


 

Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and strength belong to our God forever and forever. Amen! (Rev. 7:12)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yippee!! So glad this part of your journey is over. Stay strong and I'll see you in May.

Love ya',
S.S.Sis