Wednesday 29 April 2009

Quiet Day

I should have blogged earlier today when I had the energy, but then I wouldn't have had much to report. Nurse Cherry told me to 'lay low' for the week. I don't think that's going to be a problem, as extreme exhaustion and pain started after 2 pm today, and I have no other choice! I'm typing this while lying on the couch, which is a bit awkward, however, I'll write anyway, because I know that some of you want to know how it's going, especially my southshore sister, Brenda. Hi sis, how's your toe? (She had it lanced in Shelburne and is now on antibiotics).

My camp-out last night on the living room floor didn't go so well. It all started out wrong, while I was bringing my bedding down the stairs in the dark. I missed the last step and fell to my knees, hurting knees, foot and arm. Doug was sitting in the chair in the living room and he was unaware that I had fallen, as he couldn't see me through the closed French doors. Although he heard me, for sure! What is it with me and falling, anyway? Or hitting my head?

I made up my mattress and blankets and settled down for the night, I thought. However, I was up for a midnight snack and several trips to the bathroom. The steroids give you energy and it is almost impossible to sleep properly. Guess what? This morning I had my LAST steroid pills for all time, I hope! They're going into the trash can soon. After only a few hours of sleep, I awoke at 6 to read for awhile before the rest of the household awoke. Doug is hope sick again today, but doing better. I hear Cuz C has it next door. Our prayers are with her.

I had my first shower without my PICC line. No saran wrap and green painter's tape on my arm! First time since January. "Oh, what a feeling!" I was thanking God the whole time. Because I knew the exhaustion and pain may set in, since it always does on the Wednesday after treatment (chemo is like clockwork), Natalie and I packed Aiden into the van and took off to Value Village, while I had some energy. We were there for about 1 ½ hours, trying on clothes, and Nat tried on about 40 shirts, I think, while I acted as her customer service rep, handing her clothes over her dressing room door and hanging up the clothes she didn't want. Aiden sat in the stroller and looked at himself in the mirror. It was very enjoyable to me, hanging up clothes. I think I'll become a fashion consultant.

Home for Aiden to go to bed, and then Natalie went to Home Hardware for some Adirondack chairs for the lawn and eavestroughing materials, then she to the gym. I went for a long walk in my beloved strawberry fields, while Doug remained at home while Aiden was sleeping. After my walk I sat on the deck again and read the magazine from yesterday til Natalie came home. Prepared lunch for everyone, including our favorite guacamole (yes, Becky, we had it again!). By this time it was 2 pm, and I declared to no one in particular, "Well, it's time for me to go outside again." I sat in the Adirondack chair with a fleece jacket and my pink ball cap to supposedly shield my face from the sun (alas, I got sunburned). All I want to do when I'm in this limited chemo state is to just sit. Imagine me, just sitting. I read a book and finally fell asleep after 4 pm. Nat came outside to warn me that my face was red as a beet and woke me up. I pulled the cap down further on my face and continued to sleep.

Nat made a beautiful salmon dinner for us, cleaned up the dishes, and now she is at the store picking up some more groceries (it sees like all we do here is eat, clean up, play with baby, and get groceries. Could life be any more simple?).

She asked me if I feltl like watching another movie tonight. Sure, why not? I can lay down. So, she's picking up one on bridal wars or something (a new one available). Papa Doug played with Aiden on the floor. Now Aiden is getting very sleepy…. Gram Deb, too. Nat just came home and is preparing him for bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

....run a bead of water down the shower curtain and it won't leak. Did you think of that too while you celebrated in the shower with your picc-less arm?!! Yippee!!!
Love, Angie

Becky said...

Mmmm guacamole...I had some the other day and it just wasn't the same. You should really consider take out at the Soul Cafe ;)
xox Becky

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy a fresh cat-nap outside while laying in the sun. I have been known to get sunburns while doing that too.
Love Kim