Saturday 20 December 2008

Friday was a good day. It was so good that I almost forgot. Almost forgot that I'm in this 'dream' of a situation. Wrapped a few presents in the morning while baby Aiden crawled at my feet. I cherish babies crawling at my feet. Natalie & I bundled baby up like a blue snowman, and out the door we went, on a tree hunting adventure. Only a mile up the road, to the place we've been going every year since the kids were young – Bob Grass' tree farm in Douglas. His trees are thinning out, but every year he opens. He said he was waiting for me, and that he had heard. Word gets around in this small town. I felt like we were in a scene from The Chronicles of Narnia, a forest scene – so ethereal, with snow falling softly on firs. We deliberated over which tree to love, and decided on the very first one we saw; isn't that always the way?



Natalie drove me to my beloved Superstore, the first time I had set foot in it for three weeks – oh, it was so good to be back home again. Doug always said I should set up a booth in the Superstore, I'm there so much. The day the new store opened years ago, I was there six times. Socializing in the grocery aisles, don't you love it? Then we went to see my celebrity mother, and I lay on the floor by the open fire with the chestnuts roasting. Not really, but it was a nice thought. Did lay by the fire, though and played with Aiden. Mom served us tea and cookies. Moms are nice, aren't they? Soothing, and it was good to be back home again.

Nat drove me to a physio appointment for my shoulder. It has been aggravating me for the past year, and even more so now that I have lie on it all the time. Can't seem to get the pain under control. If it's not one thing, it's another. I must have damaged it playing volleyball or something with the Campobello girls or doing survival games with the women at Camp Tulakadik. The women I tend to associate with play hard, and that's how I like it. We're tough.

Arrived home at the same time as my father-in-law, John, who was delivering our tree in his half-ton truck. We left it at Bob's and he went and picked it up in his truck. I think I'll buy a truck when I get better – a GMC half-ton, if they're still in business. Doug actually put the tree in a stand and brought it in the house; a mini-miracle in our home. I love you, John Doug; you're getting better with the Christmas requirements every year. He even went and bought me extra strands of lights. I think he's softening. Soon he'll be decorating the tree himself.

Had a surprise visit from Angie from Norton; she was bearing a gift of a pineapple, which apparently means 'welcome.' I welcomed her to my home. We chatted for awhile. Angie is one of my adopted daughters – she's the one who sent me all the ornaments to paint (which, btw, I need to paint!). We had a great time visiting, and for a parting gift, I sent her home with my microwave. Figure that one out. Come with a pineapple, go home with a microwave. You never know what's going to happen when you come here. Love you, daughter. Merry Christmas. Doug actually went to Superstore and bought me another microwave, so all is even now. If you bring the microwave back, I'll trade you for the new one.

Nat spent about two hours on the lights for the Christmas tree; she is a perfectionist, I think. A go-getter, she is. I want to be just like her. We adorned it with beads and ribbons, and simple ornaments. I have to say that it is the MOST beautiful Christmas tree we have had. Everything looks more beautiful to me now. Thank you, Nat, for your diligence and perseverance to make the tree a reality in our home. And thank you, my husband; I'm proud of you for not complaining and being so tender.



And to cap off the wonderful day, we watched Mamma Mia, a gift from J. White #1, my dancing queen partner. I absolutely loved the movie! (RCMP man sat in the healing lazy brown chair and made fun of the movie, while he played on the computer. That's why I couldn't blog yesterday; he was hogging it. And who am I to ask him for anything? He's a policeman). The movie's music coupled with the plot was fantastic. I know now that I really am a dancing queen and could honestly see myself in Meryl Streep's acting. This movie took me back to my teenage years when we were dancing to ABBA's music, and I when I really thought I could dance. (You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life, oo-oo-oo see that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the Dancing Queen).
I think I should go live on an island, build a villa on the cliffs, invite people to come and stay, and we'll dance 'til we're done dancing. Maybe that's what heaven will be like. I HOPE so.

We will dance on the streets that are golden (We Will Dance, David Ruis)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The microwave is safely perched on my shelf, the old one is on it's way to the basement. Kelly Sutherland is pleased it's gone, she thinks the old one was causing us harm! Thank-you for it, it's a perfect fit!
Love you, Angie from Norton