Monday 29 December 2008

Furniture Store Blues?

Last evening, we had a family party in a little tiny church in Cloverdale, wherever that is. It's where Aunt Viv lives. She organized it. It was potluck. We had a Yankee Swap, which was fun. I led a game: "Who is the Big Chief?" Then we set up some board games for the kids to play. Pirate cousin Jeff and I got out the guitars and sang for a good hour or more. Country and folk. Until we got tired. I said to Jeff after: "Isn't it strange that the two invalids are entertaining, while the healthy people are sitting in their chairs?" We laughed. We lose ourselves in music; it takes our mind off our situations. I sang opera a couple of times; that sure got the kids' attention – I saw video cameras rolling. Jacob, Aunt Viv's grandson, sang with us on "Folsom Prison," I think it was. He is an entertainer, that boy. You have a gift, my son – use it. My Dad and Uncle Earl and his boys are big on Johnny Cash; me too, having grown up with it. Wasn't Johnny's life something? I'm glad he made his peace with God in the end. He certainly left a legacy of music for us to enjoy. I never thought I'd ever be writing this, either, but hey…we can change – if we have to. Thanks for a great party, everyone. The only regret I have is that my baby sister Janet was not feeling well, and we couldn't hug, for fear I might contract the flu she had. I love my baby sister.


 

This morning was the first morning all by myself, but it didn't last long. No Natalie, no baby Aiden, no RCMP man, no Doug. Just me and Canada AM (good old Seamus O'Regan…) I guess I'm trying to 'ease' myself into being alone. I do know that God is with me – always, until the end of the age. I realize that I do need time alone to pray, read and get some things accomplished, but not today. I took off with sister Brenda and Mom to go furniture shopping for Mom. She bought a new couch, chair and end tables. We tried to get her to buy a new bed (we've been trying to convince her for years to buy a bed larger than a double, but to no avail; even though she never sleeps through the night). Brenda will be back in March, she will try again. I saw a Laz-y-Boy chair I liked; a good chair is hard to come by, as I well know. After 30 years with my old brown chair, how could I get anything other than a Laz-y-Boy? Perhaps I should write the company; maybe they'll give me a discount coupon or something. I received an email from "The Hitchmans," sending their condolences on the passing of the old chair. Thank you; got a good chuckle over that.

I have a rendez-vous with Doug at 3:15 today to look at this possible new chair at Worrall's Furniture – our friendly neighbourhood furniture store. I wonder if they'll give us a discount for free advertising? Worth a try. An anonymous family member is going to contribute towards its purchase, for which we are truly grateful. I never realized the value of a quality chair until one really needs a quality chair – lumbar support, are my legs comfortable, will it put me to sleep, etc. You know, I don't take much for granted anymore. Everything is valuable. Life is valuable.

You know something else? While in the furniture store this morning, I forgot my troubles for awhile (not that I have any troubles). I met Helen, a woman that attends our church, and she told me she was praying for me, and couldn't believe that I played the piano in church the other night. She went through similar surgery seven years ago. The act of searching for furniture was comforting somehow, trying out all the chairs and couches like Goldilocks and the Two Bears would. (Not sure which one of us is Goldlilocks; could be me should my hair come in blonde. Time will tell). So the moral of this story is this: feeling kinda 'blue' and lonely? Check out your nearest furniture store and hang out for awhile.

This afternoon, my sister Brenda and I are going to Willie O'Ree place to walk for awhile. I told Doug we were going to "Willie Wonka" to walk. Yes, chocolate would be nice right now, wouldn't it? Perhaps I'll stop and get some chocolate for our walk. Chocolate in my pocket. Build up the serotonin in my brain while the exercise builds up the endorphins. Life is good; that's what the ad says, anyway. I've got to get going on my exercise and eating program to build up my immunity before chemo. After meeting with Dr. Oncology next Tuesday, I should know the date for chemo to commence.

I received a WillowTree ' Courage angel in the mail today from W. M. The Courage angel stands with her hands way up in the air – victory. She looks like she is also doing the exercises I am to do for recovery from this surgery, so she is an inspiration. I'm really getting to love angels lately. They are ministering spirits sent to those who receive salvation, you know. In her card, W. told me that I'm the 'most courageous girl' she knows. I'm always touched when people tell me that, because I don't feel courageous. But if people think I am, I guess I am. Thanks, W., and everyone who tells me that.

No comments: