Wednesday 10 December 2008

Woke up late today; what a strange thing to stay in bed until you're done sleeping. And to stay in your PJs until you want to get dressed. I put my earrings on for the first time since the surgery. I still don't have my rings on, not even my wedding band; don't know why I haven't put them on. Don't want any encumbrances, I guess. Maybe tomorrow.

I love crafts but never have had the time to do any. This week has been occupational therapy week (at least in my house). Received a package in the mail today from Angie, an amazing primitive art crafter, who put together some unfinished ornaments she made, tole paints, paintbrushes, directions and even some M & M's to munch on while I create. I'm in the business of promoting Angie's talent. I adopted her as my daughter last year. I adopt a lot of daughters. I love daughters. And sons – I have a few sons out there as well.

E. came to see me, bearing gifts as well. She brought me a whole collection of Christmas books to read. One story she recommended is called Gold, Circumstance and Mud by Rex Knowles. I wonder what that's about? I'll read it tonight. Another fascinating book she brought: An Orange from Portugal: Christmas Stories from the Maritimes and Newfoundland. I'm glad I live in Eastern Canada – God's country. Christmas Meltdown caught my eye, as I had a meltdown yesterday. E. is a retired teacher; once a teacher, always a teacher; bringing her friends some books. How precious. Thanks, E. We have a lot in common. We work together with children at church. (I miss children; I miss my students, too). We had a great chat and some laughs.

The OT director came with the day's craft, the stitching of snowmen. I love making snowmen. I remember years ago when the OT director and I made 150 snowmen for all my students. That was a crazy December, what were we thinking? I always make something 'snowmanish' in December. S. arrived and had some tea and cake. She also brought me Pad Thai (I was having a craving for it), which we put in the freezer. C. brought supper and a gluten-free chocolate cake. I was touched. It requires a lot more energy to make gluten-free sweets; I know, I've been eating this way for 15 years now. I think I need an exercise program soon. I've not eaten regularly for years, due to my irregular schedule, and now I have three meals a day! I have a trampoline downstairs, but not sure if I can jump and down yet (smile). C. from next door just stopped by with a snowman angel! And she didn't even know I was making snowmen today. God is good; He knows every detail and our heart's desires.

Today is one month since I was diagnosed – 30 long, hard days. Seems like forever. Yet so much has happened in this month – doctors' visits, all my careers have been 'stopped in their tracks,' mastectomy surgery and recovering from that trauma – the English patient. And waiting – SO much waiting – always waiting for the next step in the process. These past two weeks, I have been waiting to recover and now am waiting to go to see the surgeon tomorrow, Dr. B., the best surgeon in the world, I think -- for her to check out her handiwork, make sure I'm healing correctly, and give us the results of the pathology report. I have to admit I don't want any more bad news – who does? I'm asking God that there be no more cancer – anywhere, no further treatment, no fear, and that He would grant HIS peace, the peace that passes all human understanding.

Tomorrow afternoon – 3:20 p.m. – if you're reading this, will you pray for good results? I know that we are not to worry – I tell this to people all the time. One of my favorite passages comes from Phil. 4. Listen to it from the message:

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, (don't you love that?), letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

I MUST shape my worries into prayers. Then let God settle me down. A good word for me today, and tomorrow and the day after that and so on….

Coming at you from the lazy brown chair, is the not-lazy Deborah….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be praying!

Krista

The Sutherland's said...

I'll set my alarm and will bring my praises and petitions before the Lord. I love that version of the verse. Thanks for sharing it. Funny that you were having a snowman day on such a rainy day. Can't wait to see all your handiwork.