Friday 12 December 2008

This morning we went to the hospital and I had my surgery site drained in the outpatient department. Dr. B. extracted 200 ml of fluid and applied a new pressure bandage, which I will keep on until Monday. I'll have to go back and see Dr. B. next week to see if it needs to be drained again. Then Doug drove me over to my hairdresser, Sandy, who treated me with such kindness. She has worked with cancer patients, wigs, and the "Look Good, Feel Good" program for years. We talked about when my hair starts to fall out, that she will cut my hair short to my head, so that it won't be so hard to bear. Told me I had a nice-shaped head, and Loretta, another hairdresser told me I had a cute face. Wasn't that nice? D. picked me up and took me to see Mom & Dad for a few minutes. Then we came home for lunch. Natalie and Aiden were home from their visit to the doctor. I tried to sleep for an hour, but sleep never came. M. came over with a movie, "Fred Claus," and we chilled out for awhile. Then, a pleasant surprise – my sister Brenda and nephew Luke arrived from Shelburne, NS – a 7 hour drive. I was so excited. I've wanted to see her for a couple of weeks, and God knew the desire of my heart – He sent her today. She's here for a few days. She likes to clean; I like that. She likes to take care of me; I like that, too.

Natalie went to get her husband Josh at the airport, who was arriving from The Pas, Manitoba. Josh is an RCMP officer; he hasn't been home for three years. So the house started to fill. D. came after supper for a visit. Jon, Alicia, Afton, Jack and Ivy arrived after 8 pm, and then the old woman had a lot of babies in her shoe. She loved it. Afton charmed us with renditions of poems and stories she has memorized. She is a 'ham' like her Gram Deb. You don't need to watch TV with all these babies and toddlers to entertain you. We are blessed; our quiver is full; our house is full – someone is sleeping in every room and on every floor. And I love it. God is good to bring them to us this weekend. I have forgotten several times the condition I find myself in. Perhaps they should stay for a good long while.

No comments: