Tuesday 9 December 2008

Today, I played the piano twice – morning and evening. This morning, I played Impromptu in Eb Major by Schubert, a Grade 10 piece, in its entirety (9 pages). Never accomplished this before; It was always too challenging to me, but not today, I was determined to make it to the finish line. I was so pleased when I plunked down the final chord. I did it! Can I get through things that are hard? You bet I can. "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength," even when they are challenging.

After that challenge, I plunked myself in the lazy brown chair and listened to "The Nutcracker" by Tchaikovsky. I 'googled' Tch – found out that he was not that satisfied with this composition. That though he accepted the commission, he did not particularly want to write it. He wrote to a friend while composing the ballet: I am daily becoming more and more attuned to my task. (Wikipedia.org/wiki/The Nutcracker#History)

Am I becoming more and more attuned to what's ahead? I hope so.

This afternoon, the OT director brought a gingerbread house for Natalie to build. My mom came and made her famous almond brittle candy in my kitchen, right in front of our eyes, and J. came to vacuum, have tea, chocolate and candy, and to dance to Dancing Queen. I joined her, and we have it on tape. I like to see people dance to that song. It makes me happy. I love to dance; just like I love to laugh. Except at 4:30, I had a meltdown and cried for about an hour. M. came and called a friend who has cancer and I talked to her, crying the whole time, but she encouraged me – God IS faithful and He will never leave me. I dried my tears and played with baby Aiden. Nothing like a baby's laugh to bring you back to smiling again. When all else fails, play with a baby.

D & R brought a fabulous dinner, complete with a delicious gluten-free blueberry cake with brown sugar sauce. Even brought me the recipe so I can make it later. Yum! I feel so special. I can't get over the generosity of people who take the time to make us meals and travel great distances to bring them here. And the cards and emails of encouragement I receive – I am still overwhelmed that people would actually take the time; it blows me away.

I don't like meltdowns; they put a bit of a downer on the day, don't they? And it isn't even Monday. Tomorrow will be better.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go (Josh. 1:9)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb, please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. I've been slow getting on here but so wanted to know how you are doing and send a hug or two.
I so admire your courage and attitude. I keep telling everyone I have great faith when it comes to these physical challenges the Lord sends us, but after reading through your thoughts I feel like I've got a long way to go. God bless you for your strength and the ability to share so that we may grow. I've no doubt that you are touching a lot of lives in a very special way. Thank you!
May you continue to heal, love and prayers. Karlene