Saturday 6 December 2008

Super Saturday

A 'normal' Saturday for me is to be somewhere else than in my home. Off doing a retreat, or visiting with someone. This Saturday, and the past three Saturdays, have been rather unusual for me, to say the least. I am still having pain and discomfort from my mastectomy site, lymph node site and drain site, and am still on my regimen of Tylenol and Advil every four hours. I am tired of sitting in the chair, however, I had a bit of reprieve from the chair for a time today.

After spending the morning in the chair, reading Scripture, writing in my journal and cutting out comic strips that make me laugh, I had a late lunch – egg salad sandwich with market-bought Mexican and vegetable havarti (Doug & Randy graced me with gifts of cheese). A self-appointed occupational therapist showed up and made me decorate 5 gingerbread cookies. She then morphed into a chauffeur, and Natalie & Aiden joined us on an excursion to my parents to view their newly decorated Christmas tree, and on to the credit union so I could put some money in our account. This about all I could handle, so we ventured on back home. The seatbelt is a bit of a problem for me.

Into the lazy brown chair again, to watch "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" (the sequel to yesterday's movie). Dinner at 6, and then Doug and I watched "Christmas with the Kranks" while Natalie cleaned up the kitchen and did the laundry. What a daughter we have – so industrious. I knit some rows on the dishcloth I've been working on. The other day, all I could do was two rows, as my arm was too tired. Another movie came on – "Serendipity," and we watched that. I'm movied out right now. I knit a few more rows. The other day, J. gave me a fiction novel, "The Friday Night Knitting Club" – it's quite good so far. J. is my knitting kindred spirit. The book inspired me; J. inspires me to knit as well.

By 11:00 pm, I had finished the dishcloth and my arm is still working – I hope it's good therapy for my arm. I'm thinking I would like to offer this dishcloth up for auction, to raise funds for breast cancer. (it's not pink, but green, like bright moss). I know it's not much, but hey, someone might be interested in making a bid on this humble project for such a great cause.

Who wants to make the first bid? You can email me at debmac88@yahoo.ca and I will keep everyone posted as to how much money I raise, if any….

Anyway, that is Super Saturday here at my house. Tomorrow will be Sunday. Tomorrow will be Day 27 since I was diagnosed. I wonder how many days I will count until this process is over?

1 comment:

Dear John said...

Hey Mrs.Mac!
I love reading your blog, I read it everyday and there isn't a day, or hour that I go by without thinking of you and how you are. If you are ever looking for a visitor, I'd love to come by! I'm sure you have plenty of company offers!
Praying for you.
<3 Maria