Sunday 14 December 2008

Quite a day

This has been a good day; a good day filled with people. Had a bit of the blues around noon, as I lay on my bed. My wonderful son came upstairs and helped me through it, (my children are so awesome and wise). Then I came downstairs to see the babies. It's like babyland here this weekend. I love it. You have to watch where you step or sleep, as there is someone filling any available space in this cozy house we live in. Jon & Alicia & 3 babies left, and from mid-afternoon on til late evening, we had many friends visit. People think this tires me out, but it actually energizes me and keeps my mind off the waiting. I am HONORED that people would take the time out of their busy schedule, especially this time of the year, to come see me.

Once again, I have been encouraged today -- with visits, food and prayers. Even a couple of students came today, bearing gifts and letters, and played the piano for me. This evening, Mom, Brenda, Natalie and I played two games of Scrabble; I won one game. I WILL win this challenging game I'm playing in my life as well -- bit by bit, moment by moment. The game of life -- hmmm....ever heard of that one?

I heard recently that Christmas is two Thursdays from now. Really? One certainly views that in a different light, too. Gifts, decorating and all the trappings don't matter as much as they used to. What matters most is the gift of family and friends, and that I know the ONE who is the REASON for the season; the ONE who is getting me through this.

I must go practice sleeping now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb, Rhea and I don't call, but you are in our thoughts every day. Your perfectly right, the only presents that are important now are family, friends, and the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Christmas trappings are not important anymore. We miss you Deb. We love you and think of you constantly, and pray for you. Enjoy those pajamas, you look great in them to, so I would never be afraid to see you first thing in the morning. You look great.

Now on a more serious note, I told Doug yesterday, but seeing he is getting old like me, I will tell you. If you ever need a drive any where, and I mean anywhere, Saint John, Moncton, Nova Scotia, where ever, give me a call. The old truck is comfortable and just purrs aong like a diesel should. Rhea is also volunteering to drive you anywhere to, but she only has a car. Ha. Love you. Your attittude and courage is an inspirition to us all.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
I just wanted to leave you a note to let you know that I find myself praying for you many times throughout every day and sometimes through the night as well. I know He nudges me often because of His incredible Love for you. I so feel it!

I love how He shines through you Deb with the humility and honesty in your writing. Thank you for being willing to share yourself and this journey of suffering.

Much love to you and Doug and your family,
Sandy Nickerson

Unknown said...

Thanks, Dave & Rhea - love and miss you, too. I may take you up on the drives when I go to Saint John for radiation next year (after chemo). Or perhaps to take me on a day trip somewhere; who knows? I love to drive. You two are great, and we are so privileged to know you.

Sandy -- blessings -- I am touched that God would nudge you so much. You go, teacher! Love you...