Friday 5 December 2008

So, today was another first. I took a short walk – up and down the street with D., as she pushed Baby Aiden in the stroller. Natalie took off on a few errands. A bit cold and a bit slow, it 'twas. Felt good. I guess it took a bit out of me, as I stayed in the chair the rest of the day. Tomorrow I will walk some more, and perhaps my wonderful hubby will take me for a Saturday drive to see the city streets. You know, I absolutely love to drive, and the thing I like to do the most is hop in the car and drive until I'm done driving. (Those of you who know me know driving is my therapy). Perhaps I'll get to drive next week, who knows? I'm a bit timid about it yet, as I drive a bit like a racecar driver (always wanted to be one), and I wouldn't be able to do my famous 360s or go around hairpin turns quite yet.

I saw the mail carrier coming in the driveway today and was so excited. Every day she drops those letters into the box, it's like Christmas for me. Cards are coming! Cards are coming! I never realized the value of receiving cards of encouragement 'til now. This day, however, she rang the bell – her name is Heather; she had a package and cards to bestow upon me. Wow. I met her at the back door because Natalie was somewhere else in the house. I told her my situation, and she told me about her sister who has cancer, too; she is a pastor's wife up north. H. spends as much time as she can with her sister. We talked about cancer being unfair, but how God is in control. I gave her my website/blogspot, and told her I would pray for her sister. I thought to myself later, "I'll put this on the blogspot and ask the people reading this site to add H.'s sister to their prayer list. Her name is Margie. Pray for Margie, as you pray for me. Pray that Margie be healed completely, like I will be.

Lots of cards from Campobello Island today. They are so special. My big package was from my 85-year-old friend, Vaughan from Campobello, who sent me a binder of his Sunday School lessons he taught on The Sermon on the Mount. Over the past couple of years, he has given me several single copies of lessons, and I cherish them all. This was a well organized binder with a note attached. "Hi, Deb, something for your lesson file….I cannot think of a person I would rather have them than you…I know you will put them to good use…praying for you…Vaughan & Sissy" (his beautiful wife). Wow. I cried as I read his note and his dedication inscription on the binder…"To Debbie from Vaughan, Love you Deb."

I am so touched that this man of God would send me his teachings. I am truly honored. Thank you Vaughan. I love you, sweet man.

Had some visitors this morning and this afternoon. I love having people drop by and just hang out (or make muffins, flower arrangements, Christmas trees, wash windows, watch movies, make dinner, etc.). Natalie and I instituted a new policy, though – if you come, you have to eat. Eat lots. Hungry? Come on over.

Watched "Cheaper by the Dozen" this afternoon. I always wanted a big family. Well, I guess I have one now. I have adopted several daughters and sons, sisters, grandparents, and mothers and fathers. I wished we all lived together. Well, I guess we will, someday, won't we? What a day that will be.

A bit discouraged in early evening and cried a little bit. The deep feelings are now starting to come to the surface and seeping out. Doug sat and encouraged me while I tried to eat my dinner through tears. Ever do this? Hard to taste your food when you're crying. He cleaned up the dishes and I put on "The Chieftains" (Irish music, for some reason), and started to put a puzzle together in the music room; only the end pieces, however – the middle is too hard to figure out (just like this middle chapter of my life). This activity made me too sleepy, so to the chair I went again – "Hello, Chair, you and I are getting to be good friends."

Doug's parents came and brought me a lovely Thomas Kinkade pink lady figurine with brown hair, just like me (Doug's mom pointed this out). It is from Kinkade's Inspirations of Hope Collection, and a portion of the proceeds goes to breast cancer research. Hmm, there is that word again--'hope.' Pink lady dons a parasol, a feather hat, and a ballgown, just like I do when I'm dressing up. I think I'm starting to like pink, though it never was my colour before. Is now.

C. called and told me to read the Introduction to Job in The Message Bible. Haven't got to it yet, but it's on my to do list for tomorrow.

My sister Brenda called and I talked with her at length. Good to hear from her; haven't spoken to her since last Saturday, but she checks my blogspot daily. Says she can't think of much else. I can understand; it would be the same if one of my two sisters was under the weather as well. That's what sisters are for, right? My sister Janet reads my progress as well, and I had a lovely visit from her on Sunday last. I love my sisters. I love my family. I love my friends. I love those who don't even know me. I love God. I love sleep, and I think that's where I should go right now. Ok, mind, now you shut down now. Another day is soon upon you.

Night.

Deb

X0

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sweet sister! Good to hear you were able to get up and outside, even for a short walk! And yes, i think you need to wait on the "race car" driving for a bit!!!Don't you love the pink lady figurine and her beatufil pink feather hat - my mom is buying her for me for Christmas! So pretty and regal - just like you "Queen"!

Love you,
laurie

Anonymous said...

Love you Deb. :)
Wish I didn't live so far away (well, Harvey feels far away from Fredericton to me) so that I could visit you.

Krista

Anonymous said...

Deb, Keeping up with your progress through your blog. Called again yesterday and I am just not making the connection. Think of you often. Which I was there for you. I am in my spirit. Love you Rhonda